Girl, look at those biscuits!

Jan 23, 2020





Hi all,

I want to start by saying holy cow! Exactly one year ago today, I posted my first food post! I was a little nervous at the fact that I would be opening up to everyone on social media, but I was also very excited. I set off creating this as a space to share quick recipes that have made dinner with toddlers manageable. I also wanted to connect with other parents out there and people who may not have children but want recipes that are not complicated for weeknights. I want to express my gratitude to my existing and new followers. Thank you for joining me on this fun project and reading my posts. I have so many fun ideas for this year! Now, as I get ready to pack for my weekend in Houston TX (which I hope to share with you guys soon), I wanted to pop in real quick and talk about bread. 

Rather, my love for bread. OH, how I love carbs in general. Fresh bread, store-bought bread, frozen bread, you name it. Lately, I have found myself in a breakfast rut. Not quite sure what to make and trying not to have bubble waffles every single day. If I could, I would. However, my pants would not be very gracious about it. Mostly because it isn't enough for me to have the waffle or pancakes, I'm the person that adds fruit, and whipped cream, and chocolate syrup. Gulp, yes, that's me. When thinking about breakfast some days, just eggs and a lean protein do not cut it for me. Here is where this biscuit recipe saves the day!


What you need:

Two cups flour
Two and a half teaspoons of baking powder
Half a teaspoon of salt
1/3 of a cup of shortening
3/4 of a cup of milk
One egg

Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees. Grab a large bowl and stir in your flour, baking powder, and salt. Add shortening and either with a pastry cutter or two forks, blend the shortening in until you have a crumbly mixture. Add in your milk and mix carefully and slowly until the dough starts to form a ball. On your cutting board, sprinkle with a little flour to keep the dough from sticking to the board. Dump your dough onto the surface and knead for about one minute. Roll out dough until it is in a rectangular form that is about one inch thick. Grab a small cup or even your measuring cup and cut out circles to form your biscuits. You should get about 8-10 good size biscuits. Whisk your egg in a separate bowl and brush the egg on top of each biscuit. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Serve with any topping you choose: jelly, butter, gravy, apple butter, the choice is yours! This is also a great recipe for my chicken pot pie casserole


With love,
Carolina

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.