Are you awake?

Oct 8, 2019



Hi all,

I want to dedicate this recipe to my brother Erik. Growing up with him meant that in the summer, I'd often be woken up by his heavy breathing two inches from my face. He'd wait until I opened my eyes and ask the unnecessary question, "ca, are you awake?" Clearly, at that point, I was. That would be followed by the "can you make me some eggs?" He'd watch from afar as I'd make him some simple scrambled eggs.

Sometimes I'd try something new, and he'd eagerly wait for it to be cool enough to eat. He's always been my guinea pig. Even to this day, he'll wander into the kitchen when he visits peeking into the Tupperware containers to see what leftovers linger. Now that he has his own home and family with my sister in law, he's trying out his hand at cooking and will ask me for pointers or suggestions. This one is for you, Erik, so pay attention.

What you need:
Shredded chicken (see recipe HERE or purchase a rotisserie chicken) 

One bag of frozen mixed vegetables
Two tablespoons of flour
Four tablespoons of butter
One tablespoon of black pepper
One teaspoon of salt
One tablespoon of garlic powder
One tablespoon of dried parsley
One box of jiffy biscuit mix
Two cups of chicken broth

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large sauté pan, melt butter. Once butter is melted, grab a whisk and start to incorporate one tablespoon of flour followed by half a cup of chicken broth. Add the rest of the flour and finish with another half a cup of chicken broth. Whisk for 3-4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder. Next, toss in your mixed vegetables and chicken. Carefully incorporate your last cup of chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. In a bowl, prepare Jiffy biscuit mix as indicated. Pull out your 13x9 casserole dish and pour in your mixture. Scoop 1/4 cup of biscuit batter over your chicken mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuit is golden brown.

When Erik was little, he'd look at me, and I'd see a small thought bubble forming in his head. He'd start by saying "mom...” and which point I'd stop him, roll my eyes, and say "we've been through this I'm your sister not your mom." He'd laugh and continue with his story. When he started playing baseball in school, he'd sign me up to bring treats for the team. Mind you; there was no signup sheet... he'd simply offer up my baking services. In the end, all the kids would pass by and yell, "Thanks, Erik's mom!" Seriously, guys, do I LOOK old enough to be his mom. Erik would stand back, giggling, and enjoying the moment. So to my little brother (yes little even if you're taller) here's to giving you tips on cooking so you'll stop eating all my food when you come over. Jk, I know you'll still eat it all, love you.




With love,

Carolina

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.