Let's cuddle

Jan 21, 2020


Hi all,

The weather here in the mitten has been as unpredictable as my toddler's attitude from one day to the next. Extra shout out to the momma's out there dealing with little ones that think they're teens. Penny doesn't have a filter, which can put me in rather interesting positions when out and about. Trying to keep my cool has become a new skill I've been practicing. She's only three, after all, and I would ideally like her to be honest. Perhaps not in the middle of the grocery aisle when she's loudly proclaiming that "that lady is going to take all the pasta, mom!" Oh, Penelope... anyhow, the cold weather hit us somewhat hard. I wish I could say unexpectedly but it is Michigan in January. What's difficult is experiencing 40° weather on one day and then a snowstorm on the next. This is ideal soup weather. One soup that I'm very fond of is a beef vegetable soup my dad makes. Also known as picadillo. It would fill the air with warmth and fragrant smells. It's my definition of cozy. As an adult, if I wander to my parents kitchen when my dad has a pot of this soup I instantly warm up and drool. One quirky item that we'd have on the side is a warm corn tortilla with a little spread of mayo. Yes you read that correctly. Please don't knock it till you try it. My brother even goes as far as pouring some of his soup into the tortilla/mayo mixture. I don't always have the time to let that soup simmer for hours on the stove, so over the years, I've tried shortcuts. I also don't always have corn tortillas but always have tortilla chips! I hope that this soup warms your home on days when it's so very chilly.

What you need:
One pound of ground beef
One small package of frozen mixed vegetables 
Two cups of frozen diced hash browns
One can of red enchilada sauce (10 oz)
Two tablespoons of garlic powder
Two tablespoons of cumin
Two tablespoons of chicken bouillon 
One tablespoon of salt and pepper
Three cups of water

Start by cooking your ground beef in a deep skillet. Once it is brown and has developed a little crisp to it, turn the heat up to high and toss in your enchilada sauce. Incorporate your garlic powder, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon, and cumin; this is my favorite part because of the smell of the spices that hit you instantly. Next, you will add two cups of water and stir just until your spices are evenly distributed. Add your frozen mixed veggies and your hash browns. At this time, you'll turn the heat to medium and cover. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes. This is one of those recipes that is very comforting on a cold day. I will also admit that I've made this in the summer too. Sometimes I get a craving for these flavors. That and it's so simple to throw together. Time is of the essence with hungry kids. This recipe is also flexible; you could add whatever vegetables you have lying around or even omit the beef/chicken bouillon and opt for vegetable stock. 

With love,
Carolina


Ps. if you're feeling adventurous, warm up your corn tortilla either on a griddle or directly on the heat. Remove from heat and smear a spoonful of mayo. Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt and roll into a taco. OH, and enjoy it. If you try it, let me know!

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.