Nice and cozy are we

Dec 21, 2019


Hi there!
I’ve been MIA for a while now. It’s been a busy and hard couple of months. We lost Grandma Juanita (Devon’s grandma) early this year and recently lost my buelo Enrique (my grandpa). I’ve been trying to stay positive and treasure every moment I have. Yes, even the tantrums and the sass. With the holidays comes a busy time for us. We often have multiple stops for both thanksgiving and Christmas. Right now, I savor the time I can sit down and cuddle with a soft blanket on the couch! Those moments and far and in between.

For those of you who have an instant pot, or perhaps you’ve asked Santa for one this year, this recipe is for you. Now, if you don’t have an instant pot, rest assured you can still make this recipe in a regular pot on the stovetop. My fascination with rice started at a very young age. Serve me rice and beans, and oh my am I in heaven. There isn’t a style of rice I don’t like. When it comes to dessert, my first thought isn’t always rice, but with this chilly weather, Arroz con leche (rice with milk) hits the spot. The best part about this recipe is that it’s a one-pot wonder. Who doesn’t love recipes that require minimal cleanup? If for some odd reason, you enjoy doing dishes, kudos to you, I don’t know how you do it. Dishes are my LEAST favorite chore. Anyhow, back to dessert, this is a simple recipe that can be whipped together in less than 20 minutes!


What you need:
Two cups instant rice
Two cups of water
One and a half cups milk
Half of a 14oz can of la lechera sweetened condensed milk
Half a cup of sugar
Three tablespoons of cinnamon

Set your instant pot to the “rice risotto” setting. Toss in your rice and water, and after locking your lid, press start. If you are making this on the stovetop, bring your water to boil, add rice, and simmer for 5 minutes. The water should be absorbed, leaving you with fluffy rice. After doing a quick pressure release, set your instant pot to “brown/sear.” Add your milk, sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix carefully and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes until your milk mixture is warm. On the stovetop, you would turn your heat down to low, add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for about the same time. My friends, that’s it! Kid you not, that’s it, a dessert similar to rice pudding that will surely be the next thing you cook as soon as it’s cold outside. I like to serve this in small glass cups and sprinkle a tiny bit of cinnamon on top, making me feel oh so sophisticated. I also prefer to add an extra splash of milk because I like a more soup-like consistency. There can often be a debate on how to eat Arroz con leche, whether thick like or more of a soup-like texture. To each their own. Enjoy this the way you prefer and feel free to mix in extras like raisins, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, etc.

I hope this becomes a family favorite. A recipe you choose to make and enjoy while snuggled on the couch with your family. I, for one, will savor each bite and cherish in the memories I had with both Grandma Juanita and my buelo Enrique.

Happy holidays and much love,
Carolina



Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.