Apples

Oct 29, 2019






Hi all,

I've been busy daydreaming about all the things I can do with apples. It’s apple season! Besides strawberries, my kids could munch on apples all day. I wanted to provide you guys with a few quick and easy recipe ideas. When you get back from apple picking and think perhaps, you got out of hand, and you grabbed so many apples that you're not quite sure what to do now. Apples for everyone! Most of these require very few ingredients making it a great way to keep those little wild ones busy helping. Unless you'd rather they stay out of the kitchen because you don't want to referee another pointless fight:

ugh, mom, penny has more
mommy, Noah not nice
Penny doesn't know; she's a baby 
mommy; I, not a baby, stop it, Noah! 

(Seriously, you'd think my kids couldn't stand being in the same room together for more than five minutes.)

1. Apple tart
This recipe is one of my absolute favorites. I'm a sucker for pie crust. I also love the way the smells fill the kitchen. 

What you need:
Three apples cut into thin slices (I leave the skin, I don't have time to peel!)
Two tablespoons of cinnamon 
One tablespoon of vanilla
Two tablespoons of lemon juice (I eyeball this and usually just cut a lemon in half and use the juice from half the lemon)
1/4 cup sugar
Two tablespoons of melted butter
One pie crust

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients minus the crust. Carefully unroll pie crust onto a baking sheet greased with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly onto the pie crust — Bake for approximately 20 minutes. You can feel free to add toppings such as caramel sauce, chopped nuts, whipped cream, you name it. I reach for the vanilla ice cream.





2. Apple custard casserole
As you are all aware, I love all bread from Deboer Bakery. If you don't know, where have you been? Anyhow, I try to run in and grab a loaf of bread or some donuts. Some days I may even grab both... My pants don't appreciate it as much as my heart does. Oh well, can't please everyone. 



What you need:
Four apples diced into small squares
Half a loaf of crusty bread (oh Deboer, you never fail me!)
Six eggs
Two tablespoons of cinnamon 
Two tablespoons of sugar 
Pinch of salt 
One tablespoon of milk 

For the icing (these ingredients must be at room temperature): 
4 oz of room temperature cream cheese
Two tablespoons of butter room temperature 
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla 
One and a half cups of powdered sugar


In a bowl, whisk your eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt, and sugar. Cut your bread into medium size cubes. Grab your 8x8 casserole dish and rub some butter on the bottom to prevent sticking. Place your bread first into an even layer — toss apples on top of the bread. Next, pour your egg mixture on top and distribute it into all the nooks and crannies — Bake for 30 minutes. 

For the icing, combine your butter and cream cheese first. Once that is incorporated, slowly add your powdered sugar and mix on medium speed. Add vanilla. Drizzle generously over your casserole. 




I hope this inspires you all to find new and fun ways to use your apples. Let me know how it goes! If you'll excuse me, I have to squeeze in some exercise. After all these sweet treats, I want to be able to continue to squeeze into my jeans. 

With love,
Carolina


Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.