Vanishing toast

Sep 25, 2019



Hi all,

I'm back to the recipe business. Have you missed it? I have a few travel post I'm working on, but I'm going to try and focus on food for the next two weeks. How many of you have recipes that perhaps you save for the weekend? Something like pancakes may not seem feasible during the week, so it turns to a Sunday treat! My peeps at home like French toast. Noah especially likes it with chicken tenders. 

When we went to Florida, we were so happy to be able to visit Discovery Cove. That was a blast. Anyhow, for breakfast, they had French toast sticks, and I fell in love. I'm more of a pancake person. However, I went back for seconds; the only thing that stopped me from getting more was the fact that we were starting the day.

I decided to try and recreate those French toast sticks. I wanted the option to make extra and freeze it so that I could indulge during the week. This recipe has very few ingredients and comes together in less than 15 minutes. Penny helped herself to more pieces after she finished her portion. She also tried to eat them while I was trying to take a picture. Oh, Penny.

What you need:

  • Two eggs
  • One tablespoon of cinnamon
  • Five slices of cinnamon swirl bread
  • One tablespoon of milk
  • One teaspoon of vanilla
  • Cooking oil


Start by cutting your bread into rectangular pieces. In one slice, I was able to get four pieces. In a large bowl whisk together your eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture making sure to coat both sides. In a deep skillet pour your cooking oil in; you want at least one inch of oil in the skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high and wait until your oil is nice and hot. I waited for about 5 minutes. You can also test the temperature by dipping a tiny piece of bread in the oil and seeing if it sizzles. If it doesn't, wait another 3 minutes or so. Once your oil is ready, place four pieces of toast inside. Flip after about 5 minutes. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Pull out of the oil and drain on a plate with a paper towel. Optional-you could coat with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon or even top with powdered sugar. I kept it simple.
If you make a big batch on Sunday, you could enjoy theses all week long. Nothing perks up a Wednesday more than these delicious French toast sticks. Once they have cooled, transfer them to a freezer Ziploc bag. To warm, you can either pop them in the toaster or place in microwave for 30 seconds. I hope you guys enjoy! I have to pull penny away from the table before she eats what I rationed for the week!

With love,

Carolina

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.