I scream, you scream, we all scream because we have crazy kids

Jun 28, 2019


Hi all!




Over the next two weeks, I’d like to talk about fun spots in West Michigan to take the kids/family. As a mom who is always trying to find ways to tucker these two out, I’m up for anything local and an area that lets the kids be kids. Last weekend we had the pleasure of staying at Great Wolf Lodge (I’ll talk about that visit in a later post), and it made me think about all the fun local activities that may get missed when planning out adventures during summer break. 




Our first stop is the deBoer location on the south side of Holland. For those of you Hollanders who are familiar with the north side location and its endless varieties of donuts, you may have noticed changes to their second location. Since I work close to the south side location, I tend to frequent there during lunch to see if I can get my hands on a donut. You guys will come to learn that I LOVE donuts: any and every kind. When I’m not lucky and find myself staring at an empty glass enclosure, I’d gravitate towards their lunch options. They have a few sandwiches/soup/salad combos that are refreshing and delicious. 



Just this month they added, drum roll please, ice cream! I couldn’t believe it. As if donuts weren’t enough to keep my belly round, they added ice cream as well! Obviously, I’m not sad about it. They also introduced a double fried chicken sandwich. The title alone announces how hearty this meal is, and you’re wonderfully surprised at how crisp and light it tastes. Add to it the side of fries and the different options of sauce, and you could be there all afternoon! I dove right into the come-back sauce. You have your choices of either original, plain, or spicy. I stuck with the original, and I’m already planning on my next visit to try the spicy version. On your sandwich, you have lettuce, cheese, and pickles. As somebody who doesn’t care for pickles, I actually liked them on my sandwich. 







Now for the main attraction. Well, at least my reason for stopping in today, ice cream! I was enticed by the fact that they were going to have homemade waffle cones. I’m a sucker for a waffle cone and let me tell you...it did not disappoint. I opted for the mint chocolate chip ice cream, and very cheerfully sat there eating while my kids argued about who was going to finish first. Penny went for the traditional sugar cone, and Noah ventured out to try a homemade ice cream cookie sandwich. He picked the chocolate chip cookies and Blue moon ice cream sandwich, appropriately named the Cookie Monster. He gave it “a thousand thumbs up.” 





When you feel like your belly won’t handle another drop of food, waddle, roll, hop, or skip across the parking lot to their green space. It’s filled with cute chairs, picnic tables, a hammock area, and various games spread out for all ages to enjoy. My kids loved the giant Jenga, and the connect four. Bring your friends, your family, your wild little ones, even your dogs out to enjoy a day at deBoer. And make sure to have an extra scoop of ice cream just for me! 

With love,
Carolina








Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.