A trip down memory lane

Mar 20, 2019




Hi all,


Devon and I moved into our first home almost 11 years ago. A two bedroom one bathroom trailer and a heart full of dreams. It was tiny but just right for us. Penny wasn’t born yet, and Noah was a small little guy when we moved out of that home. Sometimes I’ll ask him if he still remembers it and he nods yes. I don’t think he does though. We were on a budget, and I’d sit down and plan two weeks worth of meals. Nowadays I have a hard time trying to make up my mind on what to make for dinner tomorrow night. Then I think about how I used to plan 42 meals and wonder how I did it! Creating a meal plan is a great way to stay on budget and keep you from eating out as much. I don’t meal plan that extensive anymore, but I do try and at least figure out our lunches for the week. Well, more so our dinners that will yield lunches.


Look at how little he was! 



One of the first couples of recipes I tried when we moved in was Shepard’s pie; I liked this because it was so easy and it was relatively inexpensive. I could make it on Sunday night, and we’d have leftovers for the next two days. Now, 11 years ago the internet wasn’t what it is today. Finding recipes included buying recipe books and watching the food network channel! I loved gathering recipe books. I’m a book nerd at heart and anything that I can hold in my hands that has that old book smell interests me.  


Growing up Hispanic meant there were a few things I didn’t experience when it came to food. If I didn’t have it at lunch in school or home for dinner, chances are I didn’t try it. My parents were creatures of habit and didn’t venture into different types of meals either. When I stumbled upon Shepard’s pie, I was hooked on the mashed potatoes. What can I say, I have a soft spot for papas. Below I’ve included the budget-friendly version that I’ve stuck by for 11 years.



What you’ll need:



For the beef mixture-

One pound of ground beef (I remember I used to get so excited when I’d see the small packages rolls of ground beef on sale)

One package of frozen classic mixed vegetables that includes- peas, carrots, green beans, and corn

One can of tomato purée 

One tablespoon of salt

Two tablespoons of pepper 

Two tablespoons of garlic powder 

One tablespoon of cumin

Two tablespoons of chicken bouillon or two cubes

1 cup of water



For the mashed potatoes-

Four large russet potatoes 

Half a cup of milk 

Three tablespoons of butter

One tablespoon of chicken bouillon 

1/4 cup of sour cream

One tablespoon of salt

One tablespoon of pepper



Brown and cook your ground beef in a large 5 qt sauté pan. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cumin. Cook for an extra three minutes and add your tomato purée. Next, toss in the vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the water and incorporate the chicken bouillon. At this point, I like to taste the liquid to make sure the salt level is good. You could always add more salt if needed. It’s better to have to add salt later than to have it be too salty. Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes. In the meantime peel and dice your potatoes into small even pieces. Throw them in a pot of water and add one tablespoon of salt. Place the lid on top and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. It’s easier when you dice the potatoes into even small pieces. 



Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water. In a microwave safe bowl place the milk, butter, pepper, and bouillon and cook for 2 minutes. Warming up the milk will prevent your potatoes from getting cold. Mash your potatoes in the pot and add the milk mixture. Gently fold in the sour cream. Grab a baking dish and pour your meat mixture in first. Carefully spread the potatoes on top of the meat with a butter knife making sure to cover the top. Bake in oven for 20 minutes and serve while it’s nice and hot. 



Shepard's Pie is one of those warm comfort meals to eat when the weather is gloomy outside, and you want to stay inside wrapped in a blanket. Every time I eat this I can’t help but think of that little trailer we called our first home. 



With love,

Carolina 

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.