Winter, is that you?

Jan 23, 2019

Hi all,

The temperature here in Michigan on the lakeshore has been rather chilly. Although, having lived in Michigan all my life I can’t say it’s surprising. I can, however say it sucks. I’d also like to point out that I’m not one of those people who gripe in the summer. I try and bask in the sun for as long as possible.

Anyhow, being that I, unfortunately can’t hop on a plane and set off to somewhere warm until Michigan gets its act together, dinner that reminds me of warm weather will have to do. Salmon, in my opinion, is a speedy and easy meal to make. It doesn’t have a “super” fishy taste, and it’s a good one to try if you’d like to incorporate more fish into your diet. My kids love salmon. They don’t understand how much salmon costs so when they inhale it like high end "chicken nuggets," I try to remind them to slow down. I’ve learned some cooking tips when it comes to dealing with salmon.

  •  Don’t shy away from asking your butcher/meat counter to cut your pieces from a specific location or size. I used to worry that they would get upset or charge me extra. I have yet to notice an upcharge when I speak up. I’d encourage you to stay away from the pieces that thin out towards the end. There’s nothing wrong with them, you just have to watch out because they will cook quickly while the thicker portion will be raw. What I like to do when I’m in a hurry is grab the uneven pieces and cut off the thin part to cook separately. They make good portion sizes for the kids. 
  • Make sure that you get salmon either the day before or the day you’re planning on using it. Salmon taste best fresh.
  • Salmon can be cooked with or without the skin on. It’s a matter of preference and time really. I like to remove the skin so that I can get a good sear on both sides. Otherwise, leave it on while cooking and it should slide off with a gentle pull once it’s finished. 

I decided that I wanted to whip up something quick because I was starting to get hangry. I don’t know about you guys but, I’m not very pleasant when I’m hangry. If you’re reading this Devon, there I said it. When coming up with meals on the spot, I try and use what I have in my fridge. Today it was zucchini, spinach, and baby potatoes.



As you can see, I had tiny “helper” hands. Those of you who have had your children creep around in the kitchen while you cook, understand that she was more so looking for something to eat and not so much “helping." Meanwhile, I have my son who pops in every 5 minutes as he pulls his face away from his video game to ask "is the food done?" I can’t help but think he isn’t looking at me but rather turning his head in my general direction. If I was wearing a clown costume he wouldn’t notice. My daughter would probably whine and ask for the squeaky nose and crazy hair. Back to the recipe at hand.

Clean off any excess scales on the salmon and cut to desired thickness/portion. At this time you can decide to take the skin off or not. If you grab onto this tiny nub, you should be able to glide your fingers under it and slowly peel the skin off.


Next season your portion generously with garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning; this is my favorite part because you can completely customize it to your liking. Fresh garlic or garlic seasoning, you choose. Tonight I didn’t have the time or energy to use fresh garlic. Also if we’re honest, the tiny humans could care less which one I use. Next, grab a tablespoon of butter and turn your stove to medium-high heat. Throw the butter in and let it swirl around. You want it hot enough to sear but not too hot where it will burn. Place the salmon in the pan (if you left the skin put it skin side down). Cook for about 5 minutes, flip and cook for another 5 minutes turning the heat down to low. Grab a pot cover and place over the salmon so that it will continue to cook for about 7-10 minutes. Your kitchen will smell so good you’ll want to say screw it do I need any sides?

Place your potatoes in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes. After that drain the water and grab a plate to place your potatoes on. Choose a nice size mug ( I decided to use my very popular and funny Homer Simpson mug) and slowly push down on the potatoes to “smash” them. Melt a tablespoon of butter with garlic and parsley in the microwave. Brush the mixture onto the potatoes and set aside.

Last but certainly not least is the zucchini and spinach. I like to toss my zucchini in salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. In the same pan that you cooked the salmon, cook the zucchini. Trust me on this. It will take some of the flavor and juices from the salmon and make for a tasty side. Cook to desired tenderness. I like mine more on the firm side. Now pat yourself on the back! You made it through three tantrums, ten questions in regards to what you're cooking, five times where you asked yourself if it was all worth it, and one time where you glanced at the clock and wonder if it's too late to go through the drive-thru. Wait, no, just me? Feel free to comment and let me know if you tried it! I'm also open to any suggestions or variations.

With love,
Carolina


Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Food Wright Away. Design by FCD.